The Spinal Tap movie may be over 30-years old now, but it is a cult classic. It is a shame that more people haven’t heard of it (although, no doubt they use quotes from the movie on the regular). Thankfully, Blueprint Gaming picked up the license for the property and have made a pretty decent slot machine out of it. One that you really deserve to hear about.
The Theme of the Spinal Tap Slot
The Spinal Tap slot is hideously repulsive…and we love it.
Alright. Well, the hideously repulsive aspects fits in well with the theme of the game. It is a game based around one of the most ‘over the top’ bands of the 1980s. A band (despite not being real) that were meant to suck up every possible opportunity for a bit of branding and some cash in their pocket. The colors. The theming. Everything looks like it has been pulled out of the 1980s. It is just so over the top. It just looks like Spinal Tap were the team behind the game. Blueprint Gaming have done such a good job, and we would not have wanted to see this slot in the hands of any other company because they would not have done it justice.
If you love the songs from the film, then you are going to enjoy the sound effects of this game. It has songs, voice lines etc. and sure, it is something which is going to be repetitive after a while (isn’t that the case with all slot machines?), but nothing too crazy. If you love the film, the game sounds will be fine for a few hours.
Crank it up to Eleven
The Spinal Tap slot machine is incredibly well-themed. If you have seen the movie (and you probably have, since you are reading this), then you should be more than aware of that absolutely pivotal scene of the amp that goes up to eleven. You know, just for a little bit more volume. You know, it is louder than ten, right?
That scene is played out well in this game in the form of a special feature. However, with the Spinal Tap slot, you are going to need to make sure your sound is turned on so you can enjoy the feature in all its glory. On occasion, the sound in the slot will get a bit louder and a bonus feature is triggered. It is completely random, and your opportunities to win will shoot through the absolute roof with it.
Whenever the volume turns up, you will be asked to spin a vinyl record (so retro, so 80s), where you will be given a number of spins that the feature will be active for and one of the following features:
- Wild reels
- Wild symbols added to the reels.
- Extra number of free spins. Winning symbols become sticky.
- Bonus scatter symbols added to each reel.
Oh, and just so you know, you don’t have to wait for the feature to be randomly triggered. If you want, you can also pay 50x your bet and trigger it right away. This goes to show that you should (on average) be expecting this to occur in normal play once every fifty spins or so, although we wouldn’t be surprised if it were a little bit higher than that, just to encourage you to pay that 50x your bet.
It is a ridiculously lucrative feature, but you probably do not want to be paying the 50x your bet, because most of the time you are barely going to scrape a win. Think of this cool little feature as more of a bonus, as opposed to something that you should be striving for.
Bonus Games…SO MANY BONUS GAMES!
If you get 3 or more skull symbols on the reels, you will be awarded with one of seven different bonus games. The more symbols you get, the more lucrative those bonus games will be:
- 3 Symbols can trigger any one of the seven features.
- 4 symbols will remove the Double plates feature from the mix.
- 5 symbols will get rid of the No Hazard and Double Platinum features
- 6 symbols will get rid of No Danger, Record Deal Bonus and Double Platinum
You can actually ‘gamble’ the feature away if you do not like the one that you have been rewarded, but bear in mind that you can lose everything and since the bonus games do not pop up often, it may not be worth it.
Here are the features:
- Double Platinum Bonus: you spin a wheel. One of the band members is selected and you can win cash or a multiplier.
- No Danger Bonus: cash prizes
- Record Deal Bonus: pick records, gradually eliminating cash prizes. At any time, you will be given an offer from the game. You can choose to accept the offer OR continue picking vinyl records hoping to win a more lucrative prize.
- Stairway to Hell: 11 free spins. You will also be awarded a free multiplier up to 10x.
- Encore Free Spins: 11 free spins. At the end, all the wilds you have collected will be added to the reels.
- Stonehenge Free Spins: 11 free spins. The slot machine will be bumped up to a 7-reel slot with the middle row making all wilds that appear there ‘sticky’.
- World Tour Bonus: click game that offers a ton of free cash prizes
The fact that you have so many features at your fingertips makes playing Spinal Tap so worth it. The fact that they are all themed incredibly well really adds a whole new element into the mix. Even if you are not a fan of the Spinal Tap movie, you will love the slot machine. Despite Blueprint Gaming being a relatively small player on the game developer market, this is a company that really does know what they are doing. Why not give the game a few spins today?